You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Dungeon Siege II: General Discussions
Moderated by David

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.10 replies
Dungeon Siege Heaven » Forums » Dungeon Siege II: General Discussions » Legit vs Modded
Bottom
Topic Subject:Legit vs Modded
MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-05-05 01:58 PM EDT (US)         
I would like to see something that helps a person hosting a game to have better control over the players in the game. I just started over and have been really surprised at how many modded/hacked characters there are at regular level games now. This was not so much a problem before until elite levels.

A pre-emptive strike of some kind would be great. I hate if you let a mod guy join it can crash the game. If you boot and or boot/ban it can crash the game. Some kind of option that says “legit only”, or something and will check if there are any attributes in a character that are not legit, before allowing him to join. I think these are the things that crash a game. If there are none but he is hack say in health/mana that is ok, don't like it, but I don't think they crash the game. It seems that the character file for a saved game it not so large that it couldn't be scanned in much the same way as a virus. Maybe a regular update, when you log onto Zonematch, that will detect new things as they come along. Seems that would be cheaper then dedicated hosting to save players on. This would seem middle of the road.

The host options should show the user name, not the player name, or both. Makes it hard to boot the right player unless you know everyone. It is hard to figur out who to boot say if you are playing with a party to make it to grescal then a hack joins and starts there to try and get the "booty" lol.

Long story short. All I want is a way to seperate the two, hack vs legit. When you want to play it really sucks try to convince a hack character that the player is hack and asking him to leave so you don't risk a crash. It is very frustrating to be 3 hours in and get a crash. And yes I know I can lock the game. There are issues with that too, I won't go into it. (your welcome)

Anyway babble, babble, b!t@h, b!t@h and so on.

When I whisper of deep dark space
Or ponder upon that of the rhyme of time
I find there is no change in the words of rhyme
Whereas there is in both space and time
AuthorReplies:
betbest1
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-05-05 08:09 PM EDT (US)     1 / 10       
The ability to block players with mods would be nice. Also, it would be nice if the game destroyed items with pcontent outside of the legal range upon loading the character. I hate those "of the Lion Something of the Lion" items.
MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-06-05 01:43 PM EDT (US)     2 / 10       
Ya thats what I mean exactly. But not fair to destroy. Just don't let them join. I think modding is an important part of the game to alot of people. I just don't want them joining my games. A way to keep that from happening would be great. Just because someone put out a mod map alot of people think the items are legit. To me legit means skills and items that can be gained in only the official release of DS or DSLOA at this point.

Now I have seen legit items that have never fallen for me in a game. This is part of it as well. These things though brought out through a mod possibly, they are legit items and will not crash a game as long as they are not running a mod when they join.

I have turned down many items that are legit in trade as I have never seen them fall. The best I ever found was an omniesance cap in hiroth shop. And luckily I had friends playing as they are priceless and you cannot carry enough gold. 426 mana staffs in the ruins etc. My problem is guys with full stats killing everything in site with no damage and saying they are not hack.

Highest lvl I ever got was 104 straight and I never even with items had close to 6000 hp or mana. And that took months of many 18 hour days in the volcanic caverns to get. I lived and ate in front of my computer. lol

Why don't they know their hacks? Why always the debate? If they want to do that great! Just don't force others to play with them. They made their choice. Have one of each. I tried a char once called hack_Maze to check out how some of them worked. Tried the XP thing and what a joke. I wish I could lvl faster but that was ridiculous. No wonder they can't play. All the power in the world and they can't even use it. Good thing the beasties can't kill them eh!

I know very little about mods and hacks really, as they scare me. I fear they will ruin the game. My point stands there. It is no fun to play with a hacked character. I still always have the hope, though I know the odds, that a cool item I have never had will fall for me in a game. So I hope legits will join fast and once the game is full of legits I lock it. Seems the only real protection offered.

[This message has been edited by MentalMaze (edited 03-06-2005 @ 01:47 PM).]

betbest1
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-06-05 06:23 PM EDT (US)     3 / 10       
I consider legit items to be items found normally in either the Kingdom of Ehb, the Utraean Peninsula, the Isle of Utrae, and the (currently) two OFFICIAL add-on maps: Yesterhaven and Return to Arhok. I consider items like the Mac Daddy Cap of Procurement, Bubberjack's Orb of Poultry, and Chicken Gun borderline (they are officially in the game, but they are way more powerful than any normal loot drops. Also borderline are items that have been added to the character manually or picked up off "treasure" maps, as long as they are normally in the game and their pcontent is within the legitly available range.
David
HG Alumnus
posted 03-07-05 10:40 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10       
My ideas of what is legit and not conforms well to betbest's.
MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-07-05 11:13 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10       
Hmmmmm......

Quoted from betbest1:

I consider legit items to be items found normally in either the Kingdom of Ehb, the Utraean Peninsula, the Isle of Utrae, and the (currently) two OFFICIAL add-on maps: Yesterhaven and Return to Arhok.

My bad, I did not know any of the add-on maps where "OFFICIAL". Guess that makes it tough to know what is legit now as I have never played them. When in doubt I can whip out a list of all the pre and suffixes for DS and be sure. Actually I even know most of them just not exactly what all they offer.

I would think if it was an add-on map only the terrain and quest would be different and not the items. Is this not the case?

Quoted from betbest1:

I consider items like the Mac Daddy Cap of Procurement, Bubberjack's Orb of Poultry, and Chicken Gun borderline (they are officially in the game, but they are way more powerful than any normal loot drops.

Hmm I didn't try the Bubberjack's orb of poultry but as a mage I am using the Mac Daddy cap. I felt it was a way of balancing what mages get a bit more against the items melee get. I am not sure it is way more powerful then anything that falls in a game, just available sooner. As I recall, the Flat Cap of Omniscience, available in Hiroth shops are more powerfull. They are priceless though and not available without help or a friend who gives you money.

Quoted from betbest1:

Also borderline are items that have been added to the character manually or picked up off "treasure" maps, as long as they are normally in the game and their pcontent is within the legitly available range.

I see your point.

I am not sure what you mean by added to the character manually. But as to the treasure maps I get the idea there. Used to be a big long post here arguing just that. The items are legit but don't fall in the course of a regular game easily or more like a 1 in 10,000,000 or higher chance they will fall at all (I don't remember the exact number). Do hacks with totaled xp/skills cause them to drop? Things like that, but way to long to go into here.

Anyway this point of hacks has been argued to death. I don't want people not to be able to mod if that is what they choose, just a way to seperate the two. I am going to start a thread about balance in mage vs melee to see what people think. I think that thread should go into valid items and such. It seems that there is a mis-balance in melee and mage. Hence, why as much as I hate the Mac Daddy cap, and it clashes with my suit, I have used it. lol

Anyway... some great points betbest1

gurian
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-07-05 01:56 PM EDT (US)     6 / 10       
I would like to see the new Game Spy matching making service for DS2 have an option that allows the game host to limit the level range of charactesrs that can join his/her game. I see game titles like: "60-80 lvl: Legit Only". Then when you look at the player list you see levels from 60 up to 150 in there!

I realize it doesn't solve the hacker issue, because a low level character can still be hacked or have hacked items. But this 'host' option would at least keep character levels to the range you specify.

MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-07-05 04:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 10       

Quoted from gurian:

have an option that allows the game host to limit the level range of charactesrs

Ya that is a good idea! It would solve alot of the prblems it would seem. Most hacked characters seem to go all the way. So if you specified a lvl range it would probably stop most of it. It would also add the benefit of keeping the game more balanced.

There are some problems I see but as an option they are moot, you could use it or not.

David
HG Alumnus
posted 03-07-05 05:56 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10       
Yes... You could set the max level to 149, or one below whatever the max level is in DS2, and at least you'll get rid of the dr death characters.
betbest1
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-07-05 09:48 PM EDT (US)     9 / 10       
I have never, and I mean NEVER, seen a hat as powerful (in either defense or bonuses), or out-of-place-looking in DS, as the Mac Daddy Cap of Procurement. And it is true that those two maps have the same items as the base game (except some quest items, but those don't count), but some add-on maps (even just a .dsmap file with no added items) have insane EXP and loot drops.
David
HG Alumnus
posted 03-08-05 04:02 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10       
Just to make sure everyone reading the thread will understand what we are talking about:

"Makes you smarter" refers to a +10 bonus to Intelligence.

[This message has been edited by David (edited 03-08-2005 @ 04:02 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Dungeon Siege Heaven | HeavenGames