You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Dungeon Siege II: General Discussions
Moderated by David

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.7 replies
Dungeon Siege Heaven » Forums » Dungeon Siege II: General Discussions » 3 Big New Features in DS II Multiplayer
Bottom
Topic Subject:3 Big New Features in DS II Multiplayer
MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-05-05 02:28 PM EDT (US)         

Quoted from from home page:

"There are three big new features in Dungeon Siege II multiplayer. The first is that each player can control multiple characters, so it feels like you and your friends are each controlling part of a single, large party.

Like having a huge backpack I suppose as well. I like and don't like this idea. A player with one hack char is enough, that he could now bring multiple hack chars in the game worries me. The fact that I could have characters hold items for me until I can use them would be cool and yet somehow change gameplay. Now players may hang onto items they can't use that someone else can at the moment. Have to think more on this.

The second is that you can save multiplayer games and pick up right where you left off.

I still am not sure I get this. Does that mean that all that where playing would have to be there to carry on? If so what are the odds of that? Has cool potential though. Have to give more thought if I feel I would use this. If DSII is really more story oriented, as they say it will be, then I can see it being a very nice idea.

And the third is that everyone gets his or her own quest rewards, so there's less arguing about who gets the rare "Bloodletter" sword."

Now that will be nice. I get tired of people racing for the chests and getting whacked etc. fighting over who might get the cool drop when we made it there as a team. I liked that all players got there own stones. Seems like the best drops are most always for the highest level player/s anyway. When all players are legit there is much more of the abilty for them to discuss who could use what the best/most. I suppose there may still be the one player that swoops up all the "Bloodletter swords" or something ridiculous, but not a big deal. Just don't play with them again. lol

Pessimistic, Optimistic, What am I?

When I whisper of deep dark space
Or ponder upon that of the rhyme of time
I find there is no change in the words of rhyme
Whereas there is in both space and time

[This message has been edited by MentalMaze (edited 03-06-2005 @ 01:16 PM).]

AuthorReplies:
David
HG Alumnus
posted 03-05-05 06:38 PM EDT (US)     1 / 7       
Naah, you just enjoy being the devil's advocate, somthing I myself (just ask my friends!) often indulge in!

We will have to wait and see how these features are implemented before we can say anything for sure, but I'm sure they've learned from what happened in Dungeon Siege 1.

shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 03-06-05 10:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 7       
I hope the quest rewards will be tailored somehow.
I mean, it's nice we all get bloodletter sword of +15 damage but if i'm a feeble mage with 12 strength, that's not going to do me a whole lot of good.

[This message has been edited by shelper (edited 03-06-2005 @ 10:05 AM).]

MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-06-05 01:16 PM EDT (US)     3 / 7       
ahhh ha see now shelper is getting to what I wanted to but felt to long winded already. lol

Quoted from shelper:

I hope the quest rewards will be tailored somehow.
I mean, it's nice we all get bloodletter sword of +15 damage but if i'm a feeble mage with 12 strength, that's not going to do me a whole lot of good.

Hereís my issue with the whole balance of the game. First, all mages want to lvl just as much as a melee guy. So riddle me this.

So here in a nutshell, (a large shell)
One: Intel/manna vs Strength/health is not balanced for ability to kill or resources expended to get the same kill. Now I see a mage expending mana to get a kill but why does melee not expend some health to get a kill other then just the damage they take. Sort of along the lines of getting tired. If a mage uses up his brain power then melee ought to use up some brawn power maybe based on how heavy his sword is. lol

Two: With items as a mage at lvl 59 my intel is 60-62 (maybe higher with some new items I just got and that funny mcdaddy cap) depending on what I use. Now the melee guy I was playing at about the same lvl said his strength was only 54. The best spell I can find will do about 1085 damage per 10 seconds. I must stay at a distance as I can take little damage or take it to fast to fight. The melee guy can take blows for a time before he is in trouble. The melee guy with less strength then I have mana can do 2000+ damage without spending a single resource. A mage must spend mana to get kills and then gets less damage on top of spending resources.
Not to mention you can lvl faster while taking some damage. A melee player can do that and a mage cannot do it at all or very little after regular lvls. So place number two where the balance lopsided. The mage can of course use orbs and such at the same time but so can many melee. So even a combination of orbs, summons and kill spells donít come close to 2000+ per 10 seconds a melee can achieve.

Three: Now onto items and spells. My third and final (we hope) point. If a melee guy at 54-57 strength gets a sword that delivers 1800-2000+ per 10 seconds, what does a mage get that compares if he has 54 intell? Nothing ever, thatís what! By low lvl veteran a melee can do as much damage in 10 seconds as an elite mage. Items that add to a mages skill lvl are his only hope. But then he gives up protection and/or mana/intell etc.. A melee gets better protection and more damage as he finds items. Spells go up in damage as you lvl but again still not balanced.

Now donít get me wrong, I think the basic premise is great! I think a mage should not be able to take the same damage as a melee. Even if a melee guy never gets tired, I would hate not to balance my mana use into the game play. I think spells ought to be more balanced to the sword at minimum. Healing ought to give more xp. Possibly close to how much you heal a melee guy being worth something like xp=maparea=10secmaxkill-%timetocast as if you where killing based on the kill xp of the map area. Takes almost as long to heal as to kill if you donít keep a healing spell always ready. Balance there would be a fine art.
Anyway. Again blah, blah b!t@h, b!t@h

shelper
HG Alumnus
(id: Smileyshelper)
posted 03-07-05 11:25 AM EDT (US)     4 / 7       
What would also make a nice difference to me would be those random modifiers you find on bows and clubs, added to spells.

Whenever i play an archer, and a bow drops, i think to myself "oh goodie, i wonder what modifyers it has! I can really use a stunning bow right now, but an extra +2 range can make me shoot over that canyon and pick off those creatures on the other side without them even touching me, teehee!" and then i scurry on over to pick it up. (note: i don't actually say teehee, well, not a lot anyway, and never in public!)
If i play a mage, and i see a spell drop, i take one glance at it to see if i have it or not, and then just casually stroll on over to put it in my backpack if it's on my route without even looking at it.

See where i'm going with this, even just a tiny bonus to give me an incentive to examine the spells that drop would be good. Like imbued spell books, only applied to spells. Get me to care enough to walk on over to see if that Major Heal (-10% casting cost) is worth replacing that Summon Howler (+15% summoning length) with, or maybe even that nasty Icestorm (+3 damage, +12 manacost) i got from that dragon earlier.

It's like watching a flock of clown-like apes trying to navigate a ship, even though the ship has in fact been stranded on some kind of reef for about 7 years and none of the apes have noticed it yet. -Drahnier on OD moderation.
MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-07-05 02:27 PM EDT (US)     5 / 7       
Now that is a really cool idea!!!!

Something that helps make it worth checking spells. I do the same. No joy in it anymore. I know what they do and if I'll ever even use it. Pick them up when I need cash if they are a high dollar spell and that is it.

David
HG Alumnus
posted 03-08-05 04:04 AM EDT (US)     6 / 7       
I really like shelper's idea as well.
Even if it's not in DS2, hopefully it'll be possible for modders to add something like it to their own mods. It might be possible already today actually, creating many spells with the same characteristics and screen name, but with a bit difference in stats...not sure there.
MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-08-05 11:35 AM EDT (US)     7 / 7       
Ya that really is one of the best ideas I have heard. 3 cheers for a great idea. whooot whooot whoot. Hmmmm wonder how that cheer sounded. lol

I guees when DSII come out there will be enough new stuff to keep us busy for awhile.
waiting waiting waiting waiting snooze waiting since I bought advance copy Nov 8, 2003. lol I guess if the price goes up I made out though lol

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Dungeon Siege Heaven | HeavenGames