You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Dungeon Siege II: General Discussions
Moderated by David

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.2 replies
Dungeon Siege Heaven » Forums » Dungeon Siege II: General Discussions » DSII Character Powers
Bottom
Topic Subject:DSII Character Powers
MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-12-05 01:48 PM EDT (US)         
I was reading about the new power called "Repulse" and it got me to thinking. If a archer casts it on himself I wonder what the xp rate will be. For instance if the gaining of xp is similar to DS then the ranged guy may not want to get his mage skills up. So if the xp for casting is very small it will not matter much. At the same rate it will make it again where a mage will not want to spend too much of his time protecting the party as he will not lvl with his friends. So will a mage be able to cast this one one others I wonder?

Anyway it just got me to thinking about skill/spell balances and such.

They have a tough job balancing that out I would guess. It sounds like xp will still be based on the primary skill of the character. Like one of the problems mages have is getting xp for doing certain things like healing. But..... at the same rate as they get higher up in lvl a combat mage for instance can cast wall of fire, which now upsets melee guys, and the mage can actually get more kills then a melee guy using it. They say it is because it is annoying, but me thinks it is because now, suddenly, a lowly mage is getting more kills.

So I guess I was wondering if anyone has read anything from GPG about spell/skill balances and if they have changed that much with the new/old spells?

The game sounds almost ready though so I am hoping hard for an early release. Lets hope they have very few bugs, fixes and tweaking to do!!!!

When I whisper of deep dark space
Or ponder upon that of the rhyme of time
I find there is no change in the words of rhyme
Whereas there is in both space and time
AuthorReplies:
David
HG Alumnus
posted 03-13-05 06:02 AM EDT (US)     1 / 2       
Well, powers are different from spells. A character would need enough points in ranged to be able to use that power, and I'm not sure if (destructive) powers give experience.

I don't think we have heard much about balancing yet. But from what we know about character control, and how the player will only control one character and the rest run on AI, hopefully the AI will do a good job of switching between heal/buff and attacking spells - it should be much quicker in it than any human player for sure. So that might help solving it in single-player at least.

MentalMaze
Dungeoneerer
posted 03-13-05 11:07 AM EDT (US)     2 / 2       
Cool I didn't really think about it I guess. So even a high lvl mage should not be able to use it as he is not ranged. duh!!! So powers will be a tool within the arsenal of the skill type.

Bap me on the head 3 times with a staff and I might get it.

Thanks David, I totally missed the concept.

When I whisper of deep dark space
Or ponder upon that of the rhyme of time
I find there is no change in the words of rhyme
Whereas there is in both space and time
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Dungeon Siege Heaven | HeavenGames