You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Dungeon Siege II: General Discussions
Moderated by David

Hop to:    
Welcome! You are not logged in. Please Login or Register.11 replies
Dungeon Siege Heaven » Forums » Dungeon Siege II: General Discussions » Absorbtion
Bottom
Topic Subject:Absorbtion
Boss429
Dungeoneerer
posted 09-20-06 08:58 AM EDT (US)         
Can anyone help with the following question:

Absorbtion, is said to absorb up to 85% Magic Damage received and up to 50% of that damage added to mana (nice regenerator). I.o.w, the way I understand it is, if a monster attacks you with magic and he deals 100 damage, but because of absorbtion, only 15 of that 100 gets through. Right?

Now, if your (for example) Fire Resistance sits at 80% (which is max) and your Absorbtion at 85%, what happens next?

Example:

1) Monster throws a 100 Damage Fireball. With 80% resistance on fire, only 20 of that 100 Damage gets through to you. Of that 20 that got through, 85% of that gets absorbed, meaning that only 3 of that 20 Damage will hurt you. So, out of a fireball thats supposed to deal 100 Damage, only 3 Damage hurts you. Right?

or

2) Monster throws a 100 Fireball. 85% gets absorbed, leaving 15 Damage that gets through. Of that 15 that got through, 80% Fire Resistance blocks 12 Damage and deals you only 3 Damage. Exactly same as above...

or

3) The 85% Absorbtion gets calculated on the 100 Damage AND the 80% Fire Resistance gets calculated on that 100 as well, giving you answer of 85 Damage absorbed and 80 Damage resisted, leaving you with 2 answers, 15 Damage and 20 Damage.

Which answer is right or is all of them wrong? What a friend of mine have noticed is the following;

Quoted from QuickDraw:

My nature mage has a 77% absorption rate and 46% death resistance (over 100% total). He stood under attack from about 10 trasaks in the kithraya caverns while my travelling companion (ranger with more then double my nature mage's health) was KO'd in under a second. My nature mage too *no* damage. At all. So some resistances can help Absorption a good bit.

Don't worry if you don't understand the question, coz I don't understand half the stuff I say either... :-)

[This message has been edited by Boss429 (edited 09-20-2006 @ 09:00 AM).]

AuthorReplies:
lordrevansith
Dungeoneerer
posted 09-29-06 05:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 11       
since no one seems to be answering after 9 days, i think ill voice mine (and most likely) the common opinion:
no idea.

Sacrosanct
Dungeoneerer
posted 09-30-06 07:49 PM EDT (US)     2 / 11       
Boss: Pick either 1 or 2 as the correct answer. In DS1, you could never negate damage completely, as there would always be an absolute minimum of damage that your character would take (even with a resistance of over 100%).
I'm not sure if this is the case in DSII, but Quickdraw's fine example implies it's not. Which is good.
cheerio
Rors
Dungeoneerer
posted 11-07-06 12:36 PM EDT (US)     3 / 11       
Have no figures or inside info to back this up, but I would go for #2 as being correct, based on things viewed from a developers perspective.

Higher resistances, by gear and/or skills are beneficial.
Absorb is a beneficial skill, so the way these 2 interact must also be beneficial or it would make no sense.

Absorb calculations would be done before resistance as absorbs seconday effect restores mana (and you dont cover that in your post ;-)), and you want that on the native pre-resist damage as its higher - why penalise having high resistances as that goes against the beneficial aspects of your stats and skills ?

Kar0l_The_Dryad
Dungeoneerer
posted 11-08-06 12:17 PM EDT (US)     4 / 11       
Omg, this is quite difficult..

1) I don't nderstand what the **** you are talking about
2) I've read it completely, and I guess you just get 3 damage, according to me #1 is the correct one

Cobra the Mediocre
Dungeoneerer
(id: The_Cobra_81)
posted 11-08-06 01:12 PM EDT (US)     5 / 11       
I'd assume 1 and 2 are the same thing. They're basically 100*.15*.20, and you can do multiplication in any order.

My hypothesis is instead 100% of the damage is absorbed. It's really 85%+80%=165%, but I don't think it will ever let you gain hitpoints from being attacked.

Cobra the Mediocre
SteadilY working up to Average
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
(Age of Kings Heaven) (The Renegades)
Rors
Dungeoneerer
posted 11-08-06 05:59 PM EDT (US)     6 / 11       
1 and 2 are actually very different - multiplication doesnt matter as its not what's affected, forget the damage absorbed, but look at Absorbs secondary effect - its the order that damage and mitigation is applied that's the key.

To answer the OQ, for the game mechanics to make any sense, Absorb is applied first, then resistances are applied on whats left.

Cobra the Mediocre
Dungeoneerer
(id: The_Cobra_81)
posted 11-08-06 10:27 PM EDT (US)     7 / 11       
What I mean to say is that 1 and 2 are identical in terms of resistances. That is, after all, what Boss was originally asking about.

I do agree that it makes the most sense for 2 to be correct in terms of absorption coming before resistance to determine mana reconstitution, but I don't agree with the final answer of 3 damage dealt.

Cobra the Mediocre
SteadilY working up to Average
If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate.
(Age of Kings Heaven) (The Renegades)
Boss429
Dungeoneerer
posted 11-09-06 06:37 AM EDT (US)     8 / 11       
...I leave the website for a couple of months, where no-one answered my Absorbtion question, and all of a sudden I check it out and it's the latest topic.

How you doing, Cobra? Miss me? LOL. Been leaving the DS2 scene for a bit, but will keep looking in every once in a while.

Question not related to DS2: When is the last time QuickDraw posted something? I'm actually looking for him. I don't know how to enter profiles and stuff, and know that you know. Will you give us a hand, Cobra?

[This message has been edited by Boss429 (edited 11-09-2006 @ 06:51 AM).]

QuickDraw
Dungeoneerer
posted 11-09-06 08:02 AM EDT (US)     9 / 11       
I heard someone call my name - what can I do you for, Boss?

From cradle to coffin... Shall my wickedness... Be your passion
Sharkull
Dungeoneerer
posted 11-09-06 03:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 11       
The rate of Mana regen would be difficult to test, but someone with basic modding skills could check out the magic damage reduction stuff reasonably easily. Take an environment like my_test_world and set up a triggered monster with an elemental weapon. Then set up a character with some resist / absorbtion gear (of various percentages) and crunch some numbers (using DS2Mod as your playing platform, so you have access to the console's stats commands).

“Truth is hard to sell; it gives no sense of purpose. It is simply truth.” (Terry Goodkind)

http://www.siegetheday.org/

Boss429
Dungeoneerer
posted 11-15-06 03:28 AM EDT (US)     11 / 11       
Quickdraw:

Howdy, Quick. Sorry for the late reply and I dunno how to MSN (in the one ear, out the other) Send me a contact email-address to "leesjoubybel@gmail.com"

RE: Religious Studies.

Thanx Quick.

[This message has been edited by Boss429 (edited 11-16-2006 @ 05:03 AM).]

You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Hop to:    

Dungeon Siege Heaven | HeavenGames