Please login or register

Utraean Peninsula
Moderated by David

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Intelligence leveling
posted 01-18-04 01:56 AM EDT (US)   
Hey i was wondering if wearing strength items will affect leveling in other areas such as intelligence. Or if having a character with somewhat equal strength and intelligence ratings affect how fast you can level in intelligence. Right now my character is level 60 with 35 intelligence and 31 strength and level 45 combat magic. It is freaking HARD to level intelligence right now playing on the veteran multiplayer campaign. So far my other friend who is purely strength seems to be a more affective killing machine than my "mixed" guy. With my staff i cant help but use it in combat because i have too some times, my combat spells just arnt enough. I was wondering if there are any effective ways to level my intellgence and combat faster so i do not have to rely on strength to survive through out my gaming experience.
P.S - Can a character soly based on intelligence and magic really surivive in the dungeon siege world by him self in multiplayer?
Thanx alot, Dan
Replies:
posted 01-18-04 01:41 PM EDT (US)     1 / 5  
"..........So far my other friend who is
purely strength seems to be
a more affective killing
machine than my "mixed" guy......"

Yes, very true. Apparently if you train exclusively in one ability you are better in that ability than a guy who spends the same number of hours training in 2 abilities.

"......With my staff i cant help but use
it in combat because
i have too some times, my combat
spells just arnt enough......"

Yes, I agree. I'm in Single Player, Normal difficulty, and my LOA game is 90% done.
I started with 1 tank & 2 nature wizards.
Halfway thru the game, my nature wiz girls were L-12 and their spells were so wimpy in combat, that the tank had to kill his enemies, and then run over to where the girls were pounding on an enemy (with their spitball-spells)----and finish the job for them.
And it only took a couple of hard whacks with his sword .

So halfway thru the game I gave each of the 2 nature wizards a sword and shield and threw their spells books away ("Girls, you're now Tanks"!).
Well, they took to combat with great gusto and quickly rose from 13 Strength to about 20+ at games-end. Yes, they got their heads handed to them on a platter, plenty of times.
But they kept at it.
I'll use no more magic-wielders in DS. Swords n' potions only.
Tanks RULE this game. Totally. Utterly. IMO.

Also, in regular DS game, when I ran a Combat magic wiz, his spells near games-end were wimpy also. That's why I tried nature magic in this LOA game. I was hoping nature spells might do better in combat. Not so.

Bottom Line:
GasPowered Games has short-changed Wizards in Dungeon Siege and MadDoc has done same in LOA.

BTW, I don't trust the DS2 "Video Trailer" that allegedly shows a mage tossing "extremely-powerful" spells.
Why not?
Because I suspect "Pre-Release" trailers are usually distorted, doctored, filled with exaggerations by Sales Depts of game companies-----in order to hype the game.
I'll believe DS2 wizards are not wimps when a 'hands-on' Preview by a reputable reviewer, says so.

posted 01-18-04 04:40 PM EDT (US)     2 / 5  
Thans for the reply, though i am gonna try to keep at my other character who is mostly mage who has decent summons to fight hords of guys. It did answer my question about strength characters, they pretty much rule the game.
posted 01-19-04 09:10 AM EDT (US)     3 / 5  
One of the things I noticed when running an archer/combat mage as my main character in LoA, is that it was enough to keep one of the little bat like Jade Gargoyles around, while the character mostly used bow (occasionally switching to combat spells), both bow and magic skills increased at a more or less similar rate (both c. 30 at the end of the game) as did dexterity and intelligence.
posted 01-19-04 01:53 PM EDT (US)     4 / 5  
Mages should be having it [much] easier getting experience in the expansion, since they can now throw up an orb, get a summon, and use spells themselves. That's three sources of experience at once. Or, if you are concentrating on multiple skills as Jayhawk, orbs and summons can take care of the mage stuff while your main attack is something else.
posted 01-22-04 08:35 PM EDT (US)     5 / 5  
Actually, I found that once you're in the higher levels, some of the spells, particularly glyphs, work better than melee because they affect muliplte baddies. I worked my level 96 tank up to level 70+ combat and nature magic for this very reason. Because I was already a fairly high- level tank, however, my intelligence and therefore mana are rather low.

I've heard somewhere that there are no fires in hell
Just constant reminders that all you did was fail

I'm baaack
Dungeon Siege Heaven » Forums » Utraean Peninsula » Intelligence leveling
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Dungeon Siege Heaven | HeavenGames